It’s 2:52am in the morning after April Fool’s Day. Most people are sleeping or enjoying the beginning of their weekends; I sit here as a captive of my mind’s thoughts. Solitude is like a razor’s edge; for every way that it helps, there are twice as many ways for it to hurt. The mindset that I am currently in leaves me awestruck and having a newfound appreciation to the lifelong student. In order to be diligent for so long, there needs to be a desire to amass more and more knowledge, all the while being patient for the effort to pay off. Life lessons are always most valuable to me. Order is one’s mind leads to order in one’s life. Understanding the players in this game we call life helps us to understand its full capacity.
Here are the players in my life:
You
“We postpone the finality of heartbreak by clinging to hope. Though this might be acceptable during early or transitional stages of grief, ultimately it is no way to live. We need both hands free to embrace life and accept love, and that's impossible if one hand has a death grip on the past.”
- Kristin Armstrong
You are the reason I do anything. In a perfect world, you would always be there. Together, I am certain that we would be able to conquer any and everything. You see, you are my purpose; without you, I am a body with no soul. You, my love, are the very reason that I attempt to accomplish anything. You shower me with unconditional acceptance and you maintain the bearing on my life’s compass. In times of adversity, all it takes is one glance at you to remind myself of why I do this, why I am here, and what my purpose is. Satisfying you completes me; without you, I cease to exist. Remember that and never forget why I am here.
Me
- Charles Caleb Colton
I make it happen. I am the one who has full control of what happens in my life. My confidence is unparalleled, my knowledge is exemplary, and my will is unprecedented; I am the force behind every astonishing concept you see here. I make decisions, and seldom wait for the affirmation of others. I am the person that gives you 100% of my effort day in and day out. I accept challenges and thrive on the pressure to excel. Arrogance aside, I do my best to make myself as appealing as I possibly can to you; you know you can rely on me, and I know that I can support you. I can be the highlight of your life; however with no faith, I can be the bane of your existence. I didn’t mean that intentionally; I promise. I thrive off of opportunity. Give me a chance to prove I am all of these things and so much more, give me the support to remain steadfast, and I’ll do my best to deliver time and time again.
Him
- John Moore
He is the very reason we conform. This guy’s best attribute is the fact that he can create a sense of assurance and acceptance; regardless of what the situation may be. He is the reason we walk around with that chip on our shoulder and the reason we (re)act (to)on uneducated inklings. He is an unwelcomed visitor; yet we can never seem to get rid of him. 90% of the time, his will is greater than ours; knowing this, we roll over and happily acquiesce. He is the one who plays with minds. His ideals cause us to believe, but they also cause us to defend. He tells us what we want to hear, and in that same breath, he makes us want to ignore his every word. You love him, you hate him, you adore him, you ignore him, but you can never shake him. Why is that? Easy answer; there are many of him, and only one of you.
Her
- Vincent Van Gogh
The best way to summarize her would be to compare her to the forbidden fruit on the tree. Similar to him, she rears her head when it is most convenient for her. It’s hard to explain. Her tool of destruction is seduction; she has a way of showing you the easier, more desirable way to get what you want. She is the answer to all of the “what ifs” in our world. In all sincerity, for someone not to succumb to her abilities is merely a fallacy; in one magnitude, or another, we have all done it. Her grip is strong; she is the handcuff to the moral arm. Believe it or not, in some sadistic way, she is very necessary. She provides the opportunity of a test. More often than not, those who venture down her path are set up to live fast and die young. In the wake of her destruction, she leaves past acquaintances in a state of purgatory; faced to rekindle what they have, or discard what is left and thrive off of memories.
These are the entities that I acknowledge in my life. I have learned that you can only maintain an allegiance to no more than two of these people simultaneously in order to lead a fulfilling life. The only thing left to do is put one foot in front of the other and traverse life’s path.
- Charles Caleb Colton
No comments:
Post a Comment