Monday, November 10, 2014

Leap, And The Net Will Appear

“I wondered about the explorers who'd sailed their ships to the end of the world. How terrified they must have been when they risked falling over the edge; how amazed to discover, instead, places they had seen only in their dreams.”
-          Jodi Picoult

It’s been a while since I've had anything to say.  Normally, I’d feel the need to cook up an excuse; something to the effect of me being extremely busy, or me being completely wiped out from all of my commitments.  The truth of the matter is I've been lazy.  The world around me (and all of us for that matter) seems to move so quickly nowadays.  We rarely have time to do things that were once considered normal; things such as reading (in any form) have proven to be either too boring or a waste of time.  Tweets are our new news and anything longer than a Facebook status is considered to be a dissertation.  As cynical as this may sound, I personally find it to be quite all right.  Admittedly, I am quite the tweeter (@Perdurable on Twitter for the curious types), but that doesn't completely sway my opinion on this shift in interest. 

Change is uncomfortable; yet, it is necessary.  Accepting and recognizing change is one of the few advantages this world gives us.  It enables us to step out of our comfort zone in an attempt to better ourselves.  Being able to change is only half of the battle though; we have to learn how to accept failure and how to be patient.  You see, the reasons many of us resist change is because we’re afraid to do something we’re not comfortable with, we’re not patient enough to wait for the desired results, and we’re too afraid to experience the failure.  These fears are emotionally driven…and unfortunately, our emotions tend to be the author of this book we call our life.  Generally speaking, avoidance is a fool proof method for evading failure.  I’m not condescending people who stick to these habits; I’m just asking them…what do you really expect from this life?  If the greater things from life happen to be what you want, you’ll need to take greater risks. 

I’m not a perfect person and I've never aspired to be one.  I've experienced tons of failure and shortcoming and, at times, I have let it completely defeat me.  It’s in these tough times that people choose to dig deep to find their source of energy and faith.  Whether you utilize professional help or religious guidance, patience is the fundamental trait.  Patience and failure should essentially go hand in hand.  We have a tendency to experience failure harshly because there is this inexplicable rush to life.  We need things, and we need them now…and when things go awry, we feel like all is lost.  As difficult as it is, we need to understand that falling short of something doesn't mean “no”, it simply means “not right now.”

And for now, that’s OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment