Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Don't Look Back. You're Not Going That Way.

“At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past.”

-          Maurice Maeterlinck

Most of us have the great fortune of having friends in this life.  We’ve appointed these people as friends and designate them with different levels of trust.  More often than not, we have something in common with that person; these common denominators can range from anything such as music and sports to religion and political beliefs.  However, as much as we would like to believe that hanging out with people of a same feather is exactly what we need, we couldn’t be further from the truth. 

Let’s be clear, I’m not saying that we shouldn’t strive to seek out others with common denominators; I’m merely saying that diversity offers perspective.  Being able to view the world through different lenses adds depth to your perception; it truly gives you an advantage in life.  When we do the same thing over and over again they become habits; habits that evolve into unshakeable tides of comfort.  Realistically, the majority of the things we know in this life are taught to us when we are young.  Those ideals are then reinforced by our upbringing and the company we keep.  What if I invited you to challenge everything you know to be true?  Would you accept?  Or would you rather not, because…well…it’s safer not to play with these ethereal concepts?  I’m not talking about challenging the small things in our lives; I’m addressing the large-scaled beliefs that we know to be as foundations of our lives. 

Each day, I observe people in their natural setting as they deal with the day to day challenges of life.  One thing stood out to me; people respect their habits out of fear.  The religious types always needed prayer and sought out a higher being during times of duress.  The grudge-holders adamantly stood their ground when challenged, and regardless of how sensible (and obvious) the solution was – they never budged.  And the homophobe vehemently denied that happiness, and normalcy, could be attained solely for the fact that the Bible says “Adam and Eve” and not “Adam and Steve.”  So…what happened when I attempted offer perspective to these individuals?  I got crushed – that’s what happened.  Before I elaborate, please understand that I wasn’t attempting to alter anyone’s beliefs; I was merely inviting them to peek at the possibilities. 

The first person I spoke with was highly against same sex marriage and relationships (out of respect to those who fulfill this lifestyle, I refuse to address this as “homosexuality”).  The topic came up in casual conversation and continued through the mode of debate.  I explained that gay people are every bit as capable and affluent as heterosexual people.  I dug up statistics proving that gay people were very successful and giving to their respective communities and all I got was resistance.  What was the counter-argument to my statistics you’re wondering?  The Bible.  This person was committed to the “fact” that the Bible severely looks down on that style of life.  I say “fact” because out of the 31,240 total verses in the Bible, we found 2 (less than 0.00006%). 

With the dissolution of the homophobe enters the religious archetype.  I’m choosing to withhold my own religious preferences for the sake of the people who are unaware.  I asked this person a seemingly simple question: “Which religion is the right religion?”  Hesitance ensued prior to the answer.  I got my answer.  I was intrigued by how convinced this person was in their understanding of the Lord’s word.  I asked them about the interpretation of the bible; and why everyone interprets it differently.  I never really got a solid answer from that question, but it fueled me to ask about the existence of God.  I wanted to see or hear about proof of his existence and I didn’t want the source to be the Bible.  Immediate offense was taken (which I can understand); yet, that wasn’t what caught my eye.  This person was furious that I even questioned His existence; they wouldn’t even entertain the idea of challenging the premise.  I realize how sacrilegious it was ask a question of that magnitude.  I wasn’t interested in the answer though; the approach and the methodology was what I wanted. 

Finally, I met the person unwilling to relinquish pride.  In light speak, I created a scenario in which the obvious answer would be to push the ego aside and salvage what was important to them.  Regardless, of the straightforward solution to matter, the “principle of the matter” needed to be maintained.  Ground needed to be stood; no matter how beneficial a possible change in heart would be - it was never an option. 


Unfortunately for these types, the world is a swirling torrent of change and progression.  Time isn’t necessarily on the side of those who possess less of an open mind.  Quality of life and overall equality are slowly emerging as the new standards of our lives.  I’m not calling anyone wrong for not wanting to recognize the world’s change; all I’m inviting them to do is to take a peek.  Be candid if you must, just don’t completely close your mind out to the possibility of these alternative realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment