Has anyone ever told you that you have the patience of a saint? Perhaps once a week I am commended on my ability to be patient with others and be completely understanding in the most adverse of situations. As of late, I can't seem to shake the thought out of my mind as to why I am so patient. I mean, I see the upside to being patient and understanding, but what exactly is the benefit to me? The only thing(s) that I see come from patience is avoiding multiple awkward situations and other people getting exactly what they want.
Realizing this a couple of weeks ago, I found myself in a situation where patience would not help the matter; it was something that I needed and in that very moment. Being cordial and respectful, I relayed my feelings and ambitions to the affected parties and immediately I was labeled and selfish and unwilling to cooperate with the others' desires. At this time I reasoned with myself feeling like I was being a bit irrational.
In an attempt to be resourceful, I tried applying this philosophy to my personal life and created a whole new set of problems. How do you determine who's set of problems and ambitions are more important? My life basically consists of school, work, and dealing with my lob-sided household. Each of those three things could easily be a full time job independently. I do my best to make time for other people and to do other things, but when it doesn't work out, the people who I "let down" do their absolute best to put me down and make me feel as horrible as possible for not coming through. Almost as if I'm supposed to be waiting patiently at their beck and call to appease their every whim.
How is it that these illogical-thinking individuals are so good at cracking the will of people trying to make it all happen? Even outside of my situations, I see these same issues unravel on a daily basis. The only resolutions that work are for you to cave in, or to fight back and play their game. I was always taught that people's kindness and willingness to be there for you should never be taken for granted. So what makes these people an exception?
It's whatever to me though. I realize in a perfect world, everyone would conform to each others' ideals. These things are going to happen; its never about how many times you complain these things, it matters how you deal and persevere through them. People, if you read this, and you know me personally - don't take this personal, I'm just venting is all.
Enjoy your morning all...
No comments:
Post a Comment